1.03.2014

Wellness Journey: December 2013

Hello There!

December has been a great month in my Wellness Journey!

I’ve made some progress and I’m going to share that below with some words of wisdom. Even though I’ve been pigging out all month long on delicious Christmas themed treats and meals, I’ve gained an understanding of my body and my behaviors. So much so, that I can make lifelong changes.

Here is what I learned in the past 30 days:





1.    Learning to control portion sizes

                      I.        Portion sizes have changed a lot in the past few years. I can remember buying a 20 oz. bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale when I was sick and the entire bottle was 2.5 servings. Now, an entire bottle of the same size is considered a serving size! It’s crazy!

                    II.        If you believe you have too much on your plate, save it for later! You don’t have to eat everything all at once just because it was served to you. Even restaurants have to-go boxes to take home leftovers.

                   III.        Measure out your food when you cook at home. If you’re really counting your calories or macros, measuring out your servings before you cook makes it easier to know what you’ve put into your body.

2.    Eating when you’re hungry vs eating when you’re bored

                      I.        Bored Eating
                                          i.    I’m a just because it exists eater. I’m the kind of girl who can plow through a huge bag of Doritos in one sitting and still feel the need to eat afterwards, cotton mouth and all.

                    II.        Emotional Eating
                                          i.    There are days when I feel like complete crap and want to do nothing but sleep. These are the days that I find myself with either no appetite or an appetite for everything I see.

                   III.        What I’ve done about each situation
                                          i.    When I’m distracted by something like writing or watching TV, I choose those times not to eat unless I have no other choice. Eliminating subconscious eating can cut major calories from your day if you’re the kind of person who overeats easily.
                                        ii.    When I’m feeling especially emotional, I try to discern what the actual issue is instead of feeding my emotions. That way I feel better emotionally/mentally/physically and I don’t get myself caught in that ugly cycle of guilt and shame for eating insane amounts of food.

December is all about gathering with family and friends and making memories that will outlast any new smartphone or tablet you get during the holiday season.

I hope your holiday season was great!


Until next time friends,

♥ Domonique ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about this post!