2.02.2014

Wellness Journey: January 2014

Hello There!

Welcome back, for my returning readers, and welcome, to my new readers!

For the past few months I’ve been chronicling my struggle to implement and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I’ve changed my diet, my exercise regimen, and my attitude towards healthy living.

I’ve had triumphs and failures, but I’ve continued on in my journey because I want to be a healthier, more energetic version of my current self. I’m making this change for myself, as well as for my son, Eli. I want him to grow up with a positive relationship with food and exercise, and I feel that he can’t do that unless he sees an example in action. Me.

Last month, I wrote about what I've learned since beginning my journey.
This month, I’ve added a lot of content, including:  my favorite meals in January, a few recipes that I’ve tried, and my weekly shopping lists.


My Macros

©      Meals Per Day: 3
©      Daily Calories: 2282
©      Calories Per Meal: ≈ 760
©      Macro Breakdown: Carbs 40% - 228g | Protein 30% - 171g | Fat 30% - 76g
©      Macros Per Meal: Carbs – 76g | Protein – 57g | Fat – 25g

This breakdown is perfect for me. I’ve been able to maintain my current weight and haven’t felt hungry at all. In a few weeks, I will be adding an extra 400 calories to this current breakdown, so I will update it again at that time.

Recipes I’ve Tried

©      Spicy Stuffed Shells by Karūna on Baking With Books

I love this recipe. It is cheesy deliciousness and heaven in a pan. My picky toddler ate a two shells by himself! Karūna is an amazing cook. I wish she lived closer to me because I don’t think I did her recipe justice and would love to have her make a dish for me.

Before I posted this recipe to my blog, I messaged her and asked her for permission. I also wanted to know if adding spinach to the shell mixture would ruin it and I'm proud to say it can be done! I actually didn’t record the macros for this recipe, but I do believe that this is a great winter dish and it can be modded to fit vegetarian needs as well.

Photo Credit: Baking With Books



Favorite Meals of January

January was a very rough month for me. I spent a lot of time in the house because of how poor the weather was outside. I did manage to cook quite a bit though, so I have a recipe to share of my own and two favorite dishes in my house.

©      Fruit Smoothie
o   1 cup of Mango
o   1 cup of Dark Sweet Pitted Cherries
o   ½ cup of Low-Fat Strawberry Yogurt
o   2 oz. of 100% Pineapple Juice

I loved drinking this smoothie for breakfast in the morning! It tastes delicious, is full of fruit, and is very filling. I drank this up to twice a day when I wasn’t particularly interested in what was being served for dinner.

©      Chicken & Veggie Stew + Cornbread on the side
o   Cream of Broccoli, Celery, Chicken, and Mushroom Soups
o   Cubed Chicken
o   Seasonings
o   Veggies
o   Cornbread Mix

This is a favorite in my house because we use an 8qt. stock pot when we make this and it lasts for about a week! I cannot think of a better dish to eat when you’ve just come in from the cold! I try to aim for the lowest sodium creamed soups in the market and we use the water we boiled the chicken in as a broth for the stew. It is delicious!

©      Grilled Chicken, Rice, and Dark Red Kidney Beans
o   Grilled Chicken
o   Log-Grain Brown Rice
o   Dark Red Kidney Beans
o   Seasonings

The best thing about this meal is that it is very filling. I could eat a serving size of each food and probably be full for four or five hours afterwards. This meal is quick to whip up, taking only an hour to cook, including the rice! This is a meal that my son’s father makes often at his house and I am always elated when I don’t have to fight with Eli to eat it!


My Weekly Shopping Lists

One of my goals for the New Year was to create a weekly shopping list and plan my meals. I was able to plan and stick to my list two out of the four weeks of January. In the third week I wasn’t home to grocery shop, so I ate whatever was available to me. In week four, Eli had an allergic reaction to some foods and I quickly had to go out and purchase many foods I had not intended on buying. (There will be more on that in a new post this week.)

Here are my grocery lists for January:


(Click image to Enlarge)


Thank you for taking the time to read this post!
I’ll be back at the end of February.


Until Next Time Friends,

♥ Domonique ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about this post!