3.20.2014

Let's Get Down to Business

Hey Scholars,

Some of you may not know this, but earlier this year, along with registering this domain name, I also became self-employed. Yup! I am a small business owner and have the pleasure of filing quarterly and annual taxes. *so much sarcasm* It was a huge financial and personal decision for me, but I have always dreamed of being my own boss and now I am finally living that dream!


My Ideal Work Space
Being a busy Mom and having another little guy due in May, I feel the crunch to find a work schedule that works best for my family dynamic and fits my personal needs. Here are my needs for a successful working environment:

  • Convenience - I can begin working as soon as I enter the space; No set up is required. Also, no travel required since I do not drive.
  • Flexibility - A schedule that can accommodate standing commitments and appointments for my children and myself. I also need the ability to work late at night when I am the most alert and creative.
  • ADD Friendly - No distracting colors or other stimuli.
  • Child Friendly - Nothing in the space poses an immediate threat to my children.
  • Scalability - I can expand my setup to accommodate new technologies, equipment, or furnishings.
  • Multifunctionalism - Can be used as a home office, business office, and personal retreat.
I do require a lot of special requirements to be able to work, which is why I decided in part that working independently is the best option for myself and my family's needs. I would also like to be the person who makes decisions about my future, not an employer or corporation. I wanted to increase my earning potential by being in control of my workload and which business opportunities I pursue.


What Does This Mean for The Lazy Scholar Blog?

This blog is a labor of love and I put a lot of thought into each post and design concept. I've even taken up learning graphic design and HTML to tweak the layouts and learn how to build new ones! Here is what you can expect in the future from me and this blog:

  • More Consistent Posts - I'm working on a set schedule for posting and my goal is to stick to it.
  • Better Content - Currently, I'm working on becoming a better writer so I can express myself more thoroughly through my posts. I've been taking freelance jobs to gain more experience and I've also been writing in greater quantities a lot more often.
  • Varied Content - Including more photos in my posts and filming videos for the YouTube channel created especially for this blog are among my top priorities this year. I think videos and photos will help my readers relate to me and also cater to people who like to do more than just read.
  • eCommerce - This year, I hope to have either an eCommerce page on this site or an ETSY shop fully operational. I want to provide my freelancing services and handmade products. I've been thinking about this for about a year, but I finally feel confident enough to attempt it this year!
  • Enhanced Layouts - I have been studying HTML and other languages to how to customize this blog. If you've been visiting over the last few months, you'll see that I've changed quite a few things from adding the tabs and social media buttons to creating seasonal layouts. I'd like to continue that and learn even more to add other amazing features to the site. I think slideshows and embedded videos are next on the list!
  • Building Community - I am guilty of being a hermit in real life and also on the internet. This year, I want to be more involved in social media. Every account associated with this blog deserves attention from me and I just haven't been doing that. I lurk around other blogs, but rarely comment. This year, that stops. I want mt readers to know that my blog is a safe place to have discussions and that I'll also return the favor and join in sometimes.
  • Blogging Conferences - I'm not new to attending conferences, having been tech support, a presenter, and an attendee before. I do want to attend a conference or two in the next year related to blogging so I can meet others like myself. Traveling is also awesome and I'd like to take my boys with me.
I have a lot of goals and aspirations for this blog and I know I won't reach them just talking/writing about them. I also know it won't be cheap, but I'm a hard worker and when I'm determined, I can do anything.

Please continue to support The Lazy Scholar Blog and stick around to watch it evolve into something awesome!


~ Until Next Time Friends ~
Domonique 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about this post!